The project aims to celebrate the East London Federation of Suffragettes (ELFS) led by Sylvia Pankhurst who fought for the right of ordinary women to gain the vote.
In 1914 the ELFS opened a women's social centre called The Women's Hall which stood at 400 Old Ford Road in Bow and became their headquarters until 1924. The hall was a meeting place, a cost price restaurant, a venue for all kinds of activities from jumble sales to a job exchange. For 10 years it was also the home of Sylvia Pankhurst and her friend and fellow suffragette, Norah Smyth.
This year, 100 years after some UK women got the vote, and 90 years after all women did, The Women's Hall Project is celebrating the East London Federation of Suffragettes with an exhibition about their history at the Tower Hamlets Local History Library and The Photography of Norah Smyth at Four Corners. We are also running The Modern Suffragette photography workshops for mothers, and hosting a garden party on the orginial site of the Women's Hall.